GCSE Mathematics (9-1)
Course code: 1MA1
Delivery method: Online
Course duration: 12 Months
Entry requirements: No prior qualification needed
Award achieved: Edexcel GCSE Mathematics (9-1)
Awarding body: Edexcel
GCSE Mathematics is a fundamental building block of education. You will cover core mathematical concepts like numbers, equations, sequences, geometry, vectors and statistics.
This course is ideal preparation for A-Level Maths as well as developing core life skills which will be invaluable in the work place or at home.
Mathematics course overview
Upon successful completion of the exam and practical assessments (as administered by Edexcel), you will have achieved an internationally recognised Edexcel GCSE Mathematics (1MA1) qualification.
- Develop your knowledge and understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques.
- Build a foundation of mathematical skills.
- Enjoy mathematics and use the skills you have learned to solve problems.
- Appreciate how important mathematics is to the world at large.
This course is divided into 6 units:
At the end of the course you will sit three papers. The assessments will cover the following content headings:
3 Ratio, proportion and rates of change
4 Geometry and measures
The exam has three papers:
- Two tiers are available: Foundation and Higher (content is defined for each tier).
- Each student is permitted to take assessments in either the Foundation tier or Higher tier.
- The qualification consists of three equally-weighted written examination papers at either Foundation tier or Higher tier.
- All three papers must be at the same tier of entry and must be completed in the same assessment series.
- Paper 1 is a non-calculator assessment and a calculator is allowed for Paper 2 and Paper 3.
- Each paper is 1 hour and 30 minutes long.
- Each paper has 80 marks.
- The content outlined for each tier will be assessed across all three papers.
- Each paper will cover all Assessment Objectives, in the percentages outlined for each tier. (See the section Breakdown of Assessment Objectives for more information.)
- Each paper has a range of question types; some questions will be set in both mathematical and non-mathematical contexts.
- Two assessment series available per year: May/June and November.
- The qualification will be graded and certificated on a nine-grade scale from 9 to 1 using the total mark across all three papers where 9 is the highest grade. Individual papers are not graded.
- Foundation tier: grades 1 to 5.
- Higher tier: grades 4 to 9 (grade 3 allowed)
The course contains activities, multiple choice assessment, short answer and tutor marketed mock exams.
The course is primarily an online course using a Learning Management System (LMS).
The online course has many features that cannot be printed such as embedded videos, forums and interactive tests.
The course includes Tutor Marked Assessments which you access and submit through the online system.
Our GCSE courses come with tutor feedback and support by email for 12 months. They will mark your TMAs and provide valuable guidance through any trickier parts of the course whenever you need it. You will also receive a study guide to help you with all aspects of studying, essay writing and general student skills.