A Level Accounting
Course code: 7127
Delivery method: Online
Course duration: 360 hrs
Entry requirements: No prior qualification needed
Award achieved: AQA A Level Accountancy
Awarding body: AQA
An A level in accounting is the perfect first step towards a potentially lucrative career in accountancy or the financial sector. It also demonstrates a strong numerical grounding in business finance, valuable for any career in business or for any budding entrepreneur.
Accountancy course overview
With no prior knowledge of accountancy necessary, this course will give you a thorough grounding in the fundamentals of both financial and management accountancy, covering general accountancy methods, such as how to use ledgers, balance sheets and income statements, as well as transferrable skills that apply more generally to business like data skills, problem solving, planning, presenting arguments and recommendations.
Upon successful completion of the exam (as administered by AQA), you will have achieved an internationally recognised AQA A level Accountancy qualification.
- An understanding of the theory, purpose, procedures and techniques of both management and financial accountancy.
- Learn the importance of effective accountancy management systems, as well as their limitations.
- Awareness of economic, legal, ethical, social, environmental and technical influences on decision-making in accountancy.
- Transferrable skills useful in all aspects of business, such as numeracy, strong communication skills, building and presenting an argument, ICT used in business, evaluating data and analytical, problem-solving skills.
This course is divided into the following units:
1. An introduction to the role of the accountant in business
2. Types of business organisation
3. The double entry model (
4. Verification of accounting records
5. Accounting concepts used in the preparation of accounting records
6. Preparation of financial statements of sole traders
7. Limited company accounts
8. Analysis and evaluation of financial information
10. Marginal costing
11. Standard costing and variance analysis
12. Absorption and activity based costing
13. Capital investment appraisal (
14. Accounting for organisations with incomplete records
15. Partnership accounts
16. Accounting for limited companies
17. Interpretation, analysis and communication of accounting information
18. The impact of ethical considerations
The AQA A Level Accountancy qualification is gained once all exam papers are successfully completed.
These exams are administered by the AQA and assessment centre details will be included with your course, as well as practice papers so that you are more than prepared for your assessments.
In addition, there will be a number of tutor marked assessments (TMAs) to ensure that you have a thorough understanding of the course materials, with the tutor sending comments to guide you through any areas of potential difficulty, as well as a range of self-assessments that are indicators that you understand the materials as you work through them. These are for your own information, and do not need to be shown to your course tutor.
Method of study
The course is primarily an online course using a Learning Management System (LMS).
The online course has many features that cannot be printed such as embedded videos, forums and interactive tests.
The course includes Tutor Marked Assessments which you access and submit through the online system.
Our A Level courses come with tutor feedback and support by email for 24 months. They will mark your TMAs and provide valuable guidance through any trickier parts of the course whenever you need it. You will also receive a study guide to help you with all aspects of studying, essay writing and general student skills.