GCSE (9-1) Psychology
Course code: 1PS0
Delivery method: Online
Course duration: 12 Months
Entry requirements: No prior qualification needed
Award achieved: Edexcel GCSE (9-1) Psychology
Awarding body: Edexcel
GCSE Psychology introduces you to one of the most fascinating subjects in science – the human mind. The course takes a broad look at some of the major areas of study within modern psychology and takes a close look at a set of specific studies that have become standard areas of interest across the world.
Human Biology course overview
Upon successful completion of the exam and practical assessments (as administered by Edexcel), you will have achieved an internationally recognised Edexcel GCSE Psychology(1PS0) qualification.
- use specialist vocabulary, psychological concepts, terminology and convention to engage in the process of psychological enquiry
- acquire knowledge and understanding of psychology, developing an understanding of self and others, and how psychological understanding can help to explain everyday social phenomena
- understand how psychological research is conducted, including the role of scientific method and data analysis
- present information, develop arguments and draw conclusions through a critical approach to psychological evidence, developing as reflective thinkers
- develop an understanding of the relationship between psychology and personal, moral, social and cultural issues, and develop an understanding of ethical issues in psychology
- develop an understanding of psychological issues, the contribution of psychology to
This course is divided into 14 units:
- Topic 1: Development – How did you develop?
- Topic 2: Memory – How does your memory work?
- Topic 3: Psychological problems – How would psychological problems affect you?
- Topic 4: The brain and neuropsychology – How does your brain affect you?
- Topic 5: Social influence – How do others affect you?
- Topic 11: Research methods – How do you carry out psychological research?
Optional Units (Selected by our experts)
- Topic 8: Perception – How do you interpret the world around you?
- Topic 9: Sleep and dreaming – Why do you need to sleep and dream?
Activities, multiple choice assessment, short answer and tutor marketed mock exam.
Final exam sat over two papers.
The Edexcel GCSE Psychology qualification is gained once the two exam papers are successfully completed. These exams are administered by Edexcel and assessment centre details will be included with your course.
In addition, there will be a number of tutor marked assessments (TMAs) to ensure that you have a thorough understanding of the course materials, with the tutor sending comments to guide you through any areas of potential difficulty, as well as a range of self-assessments that are indicators that you understand the materials as you work through them. These are for your own information, and do not need to be shown to your course tutor.
Method of study
The course is primarily an online course using a Learning Management System (LMS).
The online course has many features that cannot be printed such as embedded videos, forums and interactive tests.
The course includes Tutor Marked Assessments which you access and submit through the online system.
Our GCSE courses come with tutor feedback and support by email for 12 months. They will mark your TMAs and provide valuable guidance through any trickier parts of the course whenever you need it. You will also receive a study guide to help you with all aspects of studying, essay writing and general student skills.